I got phone calls about this performance before it even aired on the West Coast LOL. Phone calls and tweets from non-music critics (obviously the opposite of me) and they were all pretty much appalled at it.
“H.A.T.E.U.” is the latest single from that album that we can’t seem to care about and while it was rocky about 75% of the time, the other 25% of the time, she did alright (mostly when she was hitting the higher notes). But again, you can’t not admit that the Mariah Carey of today doesn’t seem as sure of herself vocally and on stage as the Mariah of yesteryear. Every performance seems tenuous and hesitant to me. I don’t know what is up.
Maybe she’s concentrating on working with the little bit she has left. But that’s a breakneck schedule…Italy…New York…I wonder how all of this was taped?